Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The meek shall inherit the earth - not on my watch!

An irate mother emails me to complain about my selection policy. Apparently, she felt I should have withdrawn some of my best players once we went four goals up last Saturday. Way to reward kids for playing well Mom! Sit them for most of the second half so the inferior players get more game time. This, ladies and gentleman, sums up what's wrong with America. This may be why we don’t win wars anymore. We’re supposed to punish those who worked hard and did well by subbing them out and putting in the less-talented in their stead. Political correctness gone mad!

Wife begs me not to call up the woman. But come on, it’s time somebody took a stand. Conversation goes as badly as you’d expect.

“I understand you have a problem with my coaching last weekend?”

“Well,” she says, “I just think you should have given some of the other players more game time when the game was already won.”

“Why?” I ask, resisting the temptation to mention her son is our worst player.

“Eh,” she stammers, obviously not expecting to be put on the spot. “You have to remember you are shaping these boys’ characters as well as teaching them soccer.”

“Yes I am,” I declare. “And nothing shapes character like winning!”

I hang up right there. Always good to end on a high note. Then I make a mental memo to put “Nothing shapes character like winning!” on the back of the new t-shirts. On a real roll with the sloganeering right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment