Wednesday, March 30, 2011

And all I got was this fantastic t-shirt

Busy at my desk this morning, putting together a Power Point showing the kids their mistakes from last weekend. Then wife calls, very obviously on the warpath.

‘The Sporting Goods Store called to say your order is ready,’ she says.

‘Great,’ I reply, fearing what’s coming next.

‘Yeah, the guy said the total bill will be $250!’

‘That sounds about right. These are the ones with "They are only nine and ten year olds!" on the front and "Nothing shapes character like winning!" on the back.’ I’m playing it cool. Trying to anyway.

‘Are you out of your mind?’ she shouts. ‘We can barely make the mortgage and you’ve just spent an entire week’s grocery money on t-shirts.’

‘I had to.’

‘You had to?’

‘Yeah. I needed thirty for the kids so they had them in two home and away colors and twenty for the parents.’

‘For the parents? Why are you buying t-shirts for the parents?’

‘I’m figuring I’ll give t-shirts as prizes each week to the two parents that shout the most at the kids during the game. It’s a little thing that we in business like to call incentivizing. Ever heard of it?’

She hangs up rather abruptly. Yet more proof there’s no reasoning with some people.

No comments:

Post a Comment