Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Show, don't tell

Have a full scale scrimmage at the end of practice tonight. I am the best player on view. Some say it’s wrong for the coach to participate. I argue it’s important to show them how good I am. How else are they to take my advice seriously? It also offers them something to aspire to. You too can be this good if you keep playing into your late thirties. I know I would have appreciated that kind of example when I was ten years old and just learning the game.

As usual, I end the session with a contest. Who can chip the ball onto the crossbar from the edge of the penalty area? Kids love this kind of thing even if most ten year olds can't lift the ball that high. They still get really into it, cheering and jeering every attempt. I get carried away too. And when I win, I pull my shirt over my head and run to the bleachers in the traditional goal celebration. Some of the parents applaud. I keep a keen eye on the ones that don’t. Their sons will be on a short leash come Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment