Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Practice makes imperfect

Wife still ignoring me so I pass the time at breakfast checking my emails. Yet one more annoying communication from a parent. This mother wants to know why her son doesn’t play more given that he never misses a practice. This is so irritating I decide to phone rather than write back.

‘Your son’s attendance at all practices is duly noted and appreciated,’ I say, by way of an opening gambit.

‘Thank you coach,’ she says.

‘No problem,’ I continue. ‘It is also required because if he is ever going to even resemble a soccer player he will have to practice much more than twice a week.’

Cue lengthy silence and a deep intake of breath on the other end of the line.

‘I’m just upset because the rules you gave the boys clearly state that only players who practice can play. Attendance is supposed to be mandatory.’

‘It is mandatory,’ I reply, ‘just more mandatory for some than others. The best players need to practice less than the weaker ones so it would be unfair not to start them on Saturdays just because they miss some sessions. It would also weaken the team if they were on the bench.

‘Uh, uh, okay.’

‘Hope this clarifies the situation for you. Thanks for getting in touch.’

Sometimes honesty is the best policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment