Monday, April 4, 2011

Words of wisdom

As a coach, I realize the enormous influence I have over these kids and I take that responsibility very seriously. I know they listen to me and I do my best to make a difference in their lives on and off the field. My latest initiative involves expanding their vocabularies. Like children all across America, my boys don't read enough and I feel we must do all we can to improve their language. This is why I decided to hand out note cards at the end of every practice, with a difficult word on each describing how the individual player performed.

Started the new word of the day program tonight and am already a a little shocked these kids don't know basic adjectives like putrid, perfunctory, wretched and apathetic.

'I don't know what hapless means,' shouts one bemused boy (admittedly one of the nine year olds in the squad).

'I know, I know but you will when you look it up as soon as you get home,' I say as he scurries toward his mother's car.

Improving this team one SAT word at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment