Thursday, April 21, 2011

What would Jesus do?

Almost as soon as I inform parents the next round of the cup will take place on a Sunday I get the first withdrawal. Apparently, one of my best players will be unavailable due to his altar server duties that morning. Unbelievable! Of all the ridiculous reasons for missing a game, this must be the worst. I’m immediately on the phone to his mother.

‘He can skip altar serving that day,’ I suggest, trying to stay calm.

‘No, he can’t,’ she says. ‘He’s made a commitment to the church and the roster for serving is set up a month in advance.’

‘He’s made a commitment to this team and this is the semi-final of the cup,’ I say, somehow suppressing the urge to shout.

‘I’m sorry but there’s nothing we can do,' she says.

‘I’m sorry too. I’m sorry that your son is putting his faith before the good of his team. I’m sure if he was allowed to decide for himself, he’d choose soccer over Jesus. I mean he's going to be ten years old soon, old enough to think for himself about religion.’

That obviously stings because she remains silent for a few seconds.

‘I’m sorry coach, I think that’s a bit over the top,' she counters, her voice definitely starting to waver.

‘No, it’s not over the top. Ask yourself this? What would Jesus do? Would he let down his team-mates just to be a bit part player at a mass? Or would he honor his God by trying to be the best soccer player he can be?’

The phone goes dead. Obviously shocked at my ability to make a very solid spiritual argument, she hangs up rather than admit defeat.  Another victory for impeccable coaching logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment