Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Food for thought

Boss on my case today about finishing a project so I take time out to phone the mother who complained about my issuing Gatorade Gels to my team. Who better to vent my workplace frustration on?

‘Hi, it’s coach here, I understand you wanted to talk to me about last Saturday’s game,’ I say, using my serious business voice.

‘Yes,’ she replies, sounding slightly startled, ‘I just think, you know, it was wrong to give sugary drinks to the boys.’

‘Why exactly?’ I ask, still trying to remain reasonable.

‘Well, all dietary advice suggests these products ultimately do harm to the children,’ she says, sounding like a woman who watches too many of the morning shows on television.

‘Really? Did you see how the team played?’

‘Yes I did,’ she says, ‘but that had nothing to do with the drinks. Scientific evidence proves…’

I cut her off right there. ‘It didn’t, did it? The boys gave their most dynamic performance for weeks after they imbibed that stuff,’ I say, not sure where I pulled the word imbibed from.

‘I have a medical study I researched on the Internet,’ she practically shouts. ‘10 year old boys do not need Gatorade!’

I pause for a deep intake of breath, cast a quick glance around the office to check boss is nowhere within earshot then I let go.

‘Listen lady, it’s nutrition Nazis like you that are ruining this country for the rest of us. I don’t care what sort of free-range soy-bean organic granola you force-feed your poor son and make him pretend to like but on my team I will give the boys energy drinks if and when I see fit. If you don’t like it, I suggest you go and ask Whole Foods or some other hippie-dippie fake food emporium to set up a team for you and your kind!’

I hang up in perfect sync with the end of the sentence then I exhale. Relieved. Happy. No point in trying to reason with the unreasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment