Friday, May 6, 2011

Free credit score

Call in a huge favor at work today and ask the Human Resources guy to run a background check on a 10 year old kid. He looks at me kind of weird when I give him the age of the boy but then I explain. In this business you got to do what you have to do to stay ahead. Almost halfway through the season, I’m already thinking of bolstering my squad for the fall. I’ve a list of names of players from opposing teams who I intend to invite to move to our club over the next few weeks. Some jealous types call this poaching. I prefer to call it approaching because that’s what I’ll be doing as soon as HR guy gets me their phone numbers and family information.

The first player on my list is the dirtiest opponent we’ve come across. He’s rough and ready, about a foot taller than most in this division, and, shamefully, some of our guys were actually afraid of him when we played. He’ll be perfect for the center of my defense. Thankfully, HR guy has access to excellent background checking facilities on his computer so he can not only get me a phone number for the family but also the parents’ occupations, income brackets etc…I stand there proudly as he prints off reams of highly-personal material. This is the kind of extra effort I put in that the parents don’t see and that other coaches probably never think of doing.

I head back to my desk,  happily sifting through the file, wondering how I can use the family’s awful credit score of 550 when I call to try to recruit the kid to our cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment